Monday, October 13, 2008

Half-Marathon!

I am happy to announce that I both ran and survived a half-marathon on Saturday. Scott ran this same race a year ago, less than a week before Caleb was born and then insisted that I run it with him this year. So we've been training for it for a few months and Saturday was the big day. My time wasn't fabulous, it definitely wasn't one of my best runs, and I thought I might die the last 1.5 miles (note to self: in the 24 hours before running a half-marathon, eat more than one meal, drink more than 20 ounces of water, and sleep more than 4.5 hours), but I finished it, and that was my only goal.

The half-marathon was in Hartford and it was an absolutely gorgeous fall day. Mid-60s, sunny, crisp air, and stunning fall colors. Part of the course was along the river, and it was so peaceful and beautiful. The first few miles were easy, the next few were harder, but then I got a second wind and was pretty good from about mile six to mile nine. It got progressively harder from there. But I just kept telling myself, "You went through a 17-hour labor with no drugs, you can suck it up and run for a few short hours." The last couple of miles were in what might be termed the Latin district, and there were a bunch of people from those neighborhoods along the course cheering us on. By that point my right hip was killing me and sending shooting pains down my leg, and I must have looked pretty pathetic because several people shouted to me something along the lines of "Come on mamita, you can do it! You're almost there!!" It was surprisingly encouraging. We finally finished and it was such a great feeling. But then we had to walk way, way too far to the car. I didn't feel so well for the next 45-minutes or so (note to self: see note above, you moron), but once I was able to get a few bites of food (banana) down, I started to feel better. Scott and I spent the rest of the day limping around, but we're mostly better now. I'm still somewhat sore, but not as bad as I thought I would be. (And I just have to say, that I am even more impressed than I was before with those of you who run marathons!)

All in all, it was a difficult but wonderful experience. I'm so grateful to Scott for making me do it. It was a great motivator to exercise (still got lots of baby weight to lose) and also a great feeling of accomplishment when we were done. I'd highly recommend it. And believe me, if I can run a half-marathon, anyone can. (GO KARA!!!!!)

Much more interesting posts of cute children to follow soon, I promise!!

11 comments:

jes said...

it's so comforting to know, maren, that you're still operating on tiny amounts of food and sleep. so nice to see that there are some constants in life. [although, i'm not sure i ever thought i would live to see the day you announced yourself completer of a half-marathon. i now, of course, fully expect to hear of you creaming a full one.]

Erin said...

You. Are. My. Hero.

Morgan Hagey said...

I ditto Erin entirely.

But, I must say, you are indeed a moron. I LOVE you, but WHY didn't you carbo load and drink 80 oz of water???? WHY?????

Love,
Morgan

Jared and Delia said...

That is awesome! I can't believe you didn't get more sleep, food, and water. Good for you for finishing it anyway. Some people get enough of all that and still can't finish a race like that - so go you!

Tiff said...

Awesome! I did a 1/2 marathon a couple of years ago and loved it! I'm glad you had a good experience. I just can't believe that you found time to train in your schedule (which I assume is insanely busy).

Katie and Bryson said...

You go girl! We need to get you guys out here to do St. George marathon next year! If you can run 13, you can run 26...but yes, please eat first :)

Dave or Liz said...

Way to go!!
I am so happy for you!
I have no idea how you did it, but you did!
Is there anything you can't do?
Someday I am going to run Moab's 1/2 marathon!
Miss you and love you! Liz

The Nelsen Family: said...

Woo Maren, I'm so impressed! Bad call on the lack of water/food/sleep though. I've already promised myself I won't do that. So what's up next, the full marathon? Or an ultra marathon? :)

Emily said...

Maren, I'm really impressed. If my husband insisted I do something like that I'd just laugh. You're a tough lady and much braver than I. Congratulations. :)

Sarah said...

Hey Maren...congrats on finishing your 1/2 marathon! That is a great accomplishment. I am going to attempt one this Saturday and I am actually kind of nervous. I will keep your advice to eat more than one meal and sleep more than 4.5 hours in mind for this week!

Lindsey said...

You are amazing! Good job!