Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Surprising Announcement


At least it's surprising to me. No, it's not what you're thinking. I am not pregnant. Scott got a job and we're moving!

Now, most of you probably have no reason to be surprised by this announcement, but if you're really on top of our life plan -- and you should be because it's an exciting plan -- you know that we were planning to be in Boston for another year-and-a-half while Scott finishes his PhD at MIT. But then, a few months ago, Scott received an unexpected email about a possible job opportunity that he was highly qualified for because of research he did for his Masters degree. In our consideration of the opportunity, we learned of a little-known MIT policy that would allow him to work full-time while simultaneously pursuing his PhD. Even better, he was able to align his PhD research with this job opportunity, effectively killing two birds with one stone. We received final approval from MIT this week, and so we've decided to take the job.

The job is for a small company recently acquired by GE and located in Northampton, MA, which is about 2 hours west of Boston. It's a beautiful area (as you can see from the top photo), and Northampton manages to have simultaneously a quaint New England feel with a vibrant -- even alternative -- lifestyle.

It seems like a fun place. We're excited about this opportunity -- I'm especially looking forward to having a house with a yard -- but we're also very sad to be leaving Boston. We've had a great experience here and have made good friends. Two of our three children were born here. Boston has been good to us.

At George's Island


Checking out the fort at George's Island


Throwing rocks in the water at George's Island


Scott and Evan at a PawSox minor league game


The adorable Asher, who likes to show off his tongue


The 'Bub enjoying the game


Evan and Caleb at the zoo

7 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

I am excited for you guys. At the very least, a yard is going to change your life. No lie. :)

Erin said...

This is so exciting! Congratulations! When will you move?

Delia said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful opportunity!

Julie Miller said...

Wow! How great it all worked out for you guys. I have a lot of questions so I guess we will have to talk!

Tiff said...

Wow, congrats! Now can you send some of that vibe over here so my husband can find a good job? ;)

the Bunker Family said...

Congrats you guys!! That's big news! I was kind of holding out that you might come back to Poway so we could be neighbors (kind of) but I can see the pull that a job/paid PhD/living in New England can have. I find myself missing Boston quite a bit, more than I probably should. You'll have to post lots of pictures so we can live vicariously through you and get to see a new part of MA. Tell Scott Congrats for us and your cute kids a "hi" from Avery and Austin. I can't believe how much your kids have grown!

Jenny Timmerman said...

Congrats! Good luck with the move and the new job.