Yes, it's been awhile. Yes, there are about a hundred pictures and activities I've been meaning to chronicle on this blog. But instead of cute pictures of the kids at the apple farm or stories about our Christmas travels, I am going to tell you why I hate January in Boston. It's not the snow or the ice. It's not the slush that soaks me to the skin when I'm walking from the T to work. It's not the realization that it's going to be at least four more months before I can even think of taking my kids outside to play. This January it's not even that Scott is so busy studying for Quals that we hardly see him.
It's the stomach flu, more accurately known as gastroenteritis. Every January since we have been in Boston, Evan has come down with whatever stomach bug is terrorizing Boston that particular year. Two Januarys ago, he also got me sick (sickest I have been in a decade), my poor visiting mother-in-law sick, and even Scott. (He also ended up with pneumonia that January, though I doubt the two were related.) Last January we all got it again, starting with Evan and including three-month-old Caleb (but minus my mother-in-law who, fortunately for her wasn't able to make it for her usual January visit) and Evan ended up in the ER.
Oh how I was hoping we might avoid it this January. That maybe extra hand sanitizing, fewer playgroup visits, and crossing my fingers would save us all. Alas, it was not meant to be. Evan wandered out of his room half an hour ago covered in vomit. I'm sure the rest of us will be joining him soon. I hate January.
7 comments:
Oh, I hate the stomach flu!!!! EWWW!! You poor dear. I hope everyone else avoids it. Caleb is a lost cause I'm sure, but hopefully the grown ups. Tell Scott to not come home for a week.
I'm SO sorry!
I'm so sorry for you! We had it in Decemeber and now the kids have bronchitis and bronchilitis. Hope you are healthy soon...and able to keep up on laundry and floor cleaning. Absolultely no fun!
Yuck. Being sick is not fun. I hope you all get better.
That sanitizer stuff really does work. I had pink-eye for a week and drowned my hands in that stuff. No one else got it so...it's gotta work.
Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. I am sorry you've got sick kids-I hope you and Scott stay healthy at least!
:-)
Hello Maren!!
I didn't know Evan went to the E.R. last year because of this nasty stomach flu!!
I hope he does better this year and stays out of the hospital!
Just before Christmas, Doctors found a bump on Sarah's right humorous bone.
We were sorry worried sick... Luckily it's not cancerous..
I think the worry and concern for our children's health is the most agonizing element in parenthood!
Good Luck!! May the health fairies be with you!!
Liz
i'll pray for you
McEuens!!
love your blog your little boys are so cute!! hope you get feeling better!!
Post a Comment