Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Evan's 3rd Birthday!

Let's all pretend that it is November 6th and not November 26th (technically 27th by now) and that I am writing this on Evan's birthday and not three weeks later. Grandma and Grandpa came to visit, which Evan was very excited about. Initially I'd planned to throw a birthday party for Evan with all of his friends from church. But when it came down to it, I just didn't have a party in me. I feel guilty about it, but luckily Evan didn't have too many expectations. Cake, presents, and he was happy. Then throw grandma and grandpa in the mix and his BFF Colby, who we invited over for the evening, and it was a party to him.
The original plan was to go to Chuck E. Cheese's for pizza and playing and then to have cake and open presents at home. Ah yes, the cake. Evan requested a train cake for his birthday. I baked the cake in the morning (I was working from home) but then ended up with an urgent project at work that took up all of my time until almost 6. (We'd planned to leave for the restaurant at 5.) I still had to shower and make the frosting, so we sent my dad off to pick Scott up from school and to pick the adults up some Indian food. (Sorry Chuck E. Cheese pizza.) In the meantime, it started pouring outside. So we bundled up the kids and traipsed down to the minivan only to realize that I'd given my dad my keys and couldn't find the extra set. (Our nanny had them.) I did find a so-called "valet key," but it took us five minutes of struggling in the rain to determine that it wouldn't unlock the doors. So that was the end of Chuck E. Cheese.


We ordered Papa John's pizza instead, let Evan and Colby open and play with one of Evan's presents (a whole, whole bunch of trains and tracks I bought used for a great price), and I got to work on frosting the cake. It took F-O-R-E-V-E-R! And I didn't even have time to attempt to make it pretty. Evan was thrilled with it, though. He loved blowing out the candles and loved eating the cake even more. Also loved opening his presents. All told, the celebration wasn't over until 10. So things didn't go exactly as I'd hoped, but at least the day went better than Caleb's birthday (poor Caleb.)




It's hard to believe that my baby, my first born, is three years old. He's still got the big blue eyes he had when he was a brand-new baby.

He loves trains and airplanes and Curious George. He loves to play with other kids (I'm told he always goes up to other kids on the playground and asks them if they'll play with him.) He loves books. He's learning to recognize all the letters and how to count. He likes to pretend to be a puppy. He's sweet and loving and remarkably reasonable for a three-year-old. I just can't believe how big and grown-up he is. We love him so much!

5 comments:

Morgan Hagey said...

Oh cute Evan. We have that train cake pan, and it is great for little boys!

Jared said...

What a nice cake. I think it turned out plenty "pretty." Good for you with all that you had going on that day.

Happy Birthday Evan!

Kathleen said...

So cute! Evan is a lucky boy. I love the cake. I think it looks great. Luke loves trains as well. We are always talking about choo choos!

Erin said...

That cake was pretty much amazing! What a cute kid! :-) Sounds like it was a fun party (even though it was Chuck E. Cheese-less).

Stefani Bellows said...

The cake was amazing Maren. I need you to teach me a thing or two about birthday cakes. Evan is growing up so fast. He is very handsome!